Hello to whoever is reading this! I know it’s been a hot minute since I’ve posted anything but I wanted to return with some positive news! I am returning to a mentor for Write Mentor’s 2022 Summer Program! I am so excited to a part of this amazing ensemble of mentors and can’t wait to get started! This post is going to be a deeper look into who I am, what my interests are, and more!
To tell you about myself, my name is Amanda Badillo. I was born in the Bronx, NY and moved upstate at a young age. My pronouns are she/her. I am Puerto Rican and a whole mess of other ethnicities like Arabic, Chinese, and more! I’ve been obsessed with the paranormal world since I was five all thanks to my mom introducing me to Buffy and I have been writing almost ever since.
I have two psychotic dogs who like to think it’s WWE Smackdown whenever I’m in the middle of something important, as most dogs do. I have a Yellow Lab who is my fiancé’s work partner and a Sheltie/German Shepherd mix that I rescued from a kill shelter in New Mexico.
I was previously represented by two literary agents with a very well known literary agency in NY up until this past late-January when I decided to sever my contract. That was probably the hardest decision in my life that I have EVER had to make especially because we were on submission and I had received an R&R from my DREAM editor and imprint. However, I knew in my heart that it was what I had to do. Now that my contract is over, I am back in the trenches with my Magical Realism MG (I have put my YA Paranormal on hold that was on sub due to my heart being broken) and have already received a full request which I am incredibly grateful for and hoping for the best news from! Fingers crossed!
Aside from being previously agented, I also interned with ArtHouse Literary where I sifted through many slush piles of queries and provided readers analysis to almost all of the agents there which was an incredible experience! I have my bachelors degree in professional writing from Western Connecticut State University where I also received a distinction in writing from my university’s writing department. In my spare time, I beta read for many writers and offer advice on query letters, synopses, and more.
What I’m Looking For
Let’s break this down into two categories:
- Comedy – there is nothing I love more than light hearted comedy! Though I know books are important I like to also mention shows as well so TV Show wise: Neds Declassified, Nicky, Ricky, Dicky, & Dawn, Boy Meets World (the younger years)/Girl Meets World, Zoey 101. Book wise: Diary of a Wimpy Kid by Jeff Kinney, I Got a D in Salami by Henry Winkler and Lin Oliver.
- Adventure – Let’s go on an epic journey to wherever to save whoever with the help of something we have to acquire with twists and turns on the way! Or let’s stop the bad guys from doing something evil! Movies/shows: The Goonies, Home Alone 1&2, 3 Ninjas etc.
- Coming-of-age – I want to grow with your MC and experience life from their eyes. Shows: Neds Declassified, Lizzie McGuire, Zoey 101, Malcolm in the Middle, etc.
- Paranormal – Bring me your demons, your witches, your ghosts, and more! Shows/Movies: My Babysitters a Vampire, House of Anubis, CW’s Legacies but for kids!
- Magical Realism – Combine our world with something cool, fun, and immersive! Make me want to join your MC and bring on the magic!
- Bring me twists and turns that I would NEVER see coming! Especially in the world of Thriller and Horror! Make me want to throw my computer across the room and SCREAM ‘WTF IS HAPPENING?!’
- Psychological Thriller/Thrillers – AS STATED ABOVE! Leave me on the edge of my seat wondering what the hell is going on! Movies: Split, Identity, Shutter Island, Fight Club.
- Horror – Creep me out a bit and make me squirm! What lurking around the corner? Any cursed folklores? Gore is okay! Movies/Books: ANYTHING RELATED TO STEPHEN KING.
- Paranormal – Bring me the ghosts, witches, warlocks, vampires, werewolves, shapeshifters, you name it!
- Magical Realism – I associate this a bit with paranormal but engross me in your world and sprinkle the magic!
- Coming-of-age: Is your MC going through a break up? Struggling to find their purpose? Just trying to live? I want to read their story!
- Twisted Fairytales: PLEASE!
- An incredibly strong voice with strong stakes! I want to be engrossed in your story from page one to the end!
- A little comedy sprinkled within these stories to lighten the blow of the creepy and weird would be
All in all, nothing hooks me more than an incredibly strong voice! I want to be sucked in from the first page and feeling unable to forget about your characters.
How I Am As A Mentor
Personality wise, think of me as Lorelai Gilmore minus the coffee with a mix of Rue’s (from Euphoria) facial expressions. I love to cheer people on, especially writers regardless of stage of writing they’re in! Just starting writing a book? HELL YES! Got a rejection? Your YES is coming! Now agented? YOU DID THAT!
I feel that I am also the same way when it comes to editing. I will suggest things to you but feel ultimately that you are the writer of this story and you know what’s best for it! I love to collaborate and brainstorm and find ways to improve certain scenes or think of what we can add to give characters more depth. I’m not really an assignment giving Mentor (I don’t have the patience or time but I COMMEND all of the mentors that do and can do this) but I may suggest certain scenes from books to read whether it’s in regards to craft or inspiration, I may also send you YouTube/TikTok videos that remind me of your WIP to also keep you going!
I operate by doing a full read-through and making notes as I’m reading whether it’s moments I love or if something strikes me as confusing/needs a little more work. I will always explain my notes and jump on a call to go over things.
I am VERY easy-going and super easy to talk to so if you were to ever have any concerns, fears, or just want to rant, I am always here and will ran with you. I will be 100% honest with you about everything, especially in regards to the querying and agent process.
I am open to WHATEVER types of communication work best for you! I understand hectic lifestyles and crazy schedules so if emailing is your thing, I got you. If phone calls are your thing, you got it. If you want to hop on a zoom call together, let me know so I remember to dress like a human that day. We can even join slack, WhatsApp, text, whatever is easiest for you to communicate. I’m a pretty simple person.
I take writing very seriously, because I love it. It’s a strong passion of mine and I know it’s yours as well, otherwise, you wouldn’t be doing this program. When it comes to the writing community I try to gain and stay friends with as many writers as I can so don’t think you’re getting rid of me that easily even after mentoring – unless you want to run away screaming, then you know, I guess I’ll let you go! I just want to make sure that I’m always available to you for any questions, concerns, etc that you may have on your writing journey!
Fun Facts About Me:
- Edgar Allen Poe
- Sylvia Plath
- John Connolly
- Christopher Krovatin
- Stephen King
- Anne Rice
- Laurel K. Hamilton
- Ellen Schreiber
- Z Brewer
- Darren Shan
- Ruth Ware
- Aiden Thomas
- Adam Sass
- Mary Shelley
- Planet of the Apes (ALL OF THEM – OLD AND NEW, especially new…Koba was misunderstood. I said it.)
- Dog Pound
- Man Down
- Halloween (all of them but 2018 is my new favorite, don’t come for me)
- Stand By Me
- The Outsiders
- The Karate Kid (1-3, 4 with Hilary Swank was okay I guess, I only remember the car jumping scene, Jaden Smith doesn’t count, I love him, but it doesn’t count)
- Porky’s (all of them)
- Animal House
- Step Brothers
- Pineapple Express
- Gilmore Girls
- Cobra Kai
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer
- Malcolm in the Middle
- Umbrella Academy
- The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina (damn you Netflix!)
- Lucifer (DAMN YOU NETFLIX!)
- Charmed (the original version)
- Vampire Diaries
- The Originals
- Good Girls
- Always Sunny
- Real Housewives of New York (Bethenny…please come back)
- Dance Moms (I once apparently talked in my sleep with my fiancé asking where Chloe was and when asked who Chloe is I apparently said one of the dancers you idiot!)
- Shark Tank (Lori’s a queen and Robert gets overlooked, convince me otherwise)
- 60 Days In (new fad, don’t judge me)
- Jersey Shore
- Jersey Shore Family Vacation
- Big Rich Texas
- Bad Girls Club
Dates To Remember
A few dates to remember:
MG Mentor Chats as of right now will be Tuesday April 5th, 2022. 7PM BST/2PM EST/11AM PST
YA Mentor Chats as of right now will be Wednesday April 6th, 2022. 7PM BST/2PM EST/ 11AM PST
Agent Registration – Windows open until September 1st, 2022.
Mentee Application Window – April 7th – 8th, 2022.
Mentor-Mentee Announcement – April 28th, 2022.
Mentoring Period – May 1st – August 31st, 2022.
Agent Showcase – Friday September 2nd – 9th, 2022.
Details and more information can be found on Write Mentor’s website by clicking here! This link leads you directly to the summer program.
So, there you have it a little bit about me, what I’m looking for, and a nose-dive into my personal interests! Please, if you have any other questions, leave me a comment either on this post or on Twitter at amandabadillo25 – my DMs are always open! I can’t wait to get started and to help everyone succeed. Best of luck, talk soon!